The mandate of the Ministry of Education is to use education for fostering development of all Nigerian Citizens to their full potentials in the promotion of a strong, democratic, egalitarian, prosperous, indivisible and indissoluble.
- Formulate and co-ordinate a national policy on education
- Collect and collate data for purposes of education Planning and Financing
- Prescribe and maintain uniform standard of education throughout the Country
- Control and monitor the quality of education in the Country
- Harmonize educational policies and procedures of all the States of the Federation through the instrumentality of the National Council on Education (NCE)
- Effect co-operation in educational matters on an international scale
- Develop curricula and syllabuses at the National Level